Monday, February 4, 2008

Does Music Affect Wine Development?

Do wines respond to noises and types of music?

Excerpt from the dialogue currently taking place over on The Pampered Wine Forum:

Posted by Mr. Peabody 9:30 am February 3, 2008:

Vinnyphile, oh yes there is indeed a connection between the kind of music played around wines being cellared! Let me tell you, my collection of wines has its share of rare and expensive bottles and for the longest time I couldn’t for the life of me figure out why they all seemed so poor. Every bottle I opened was suffering from bottle shock – all disjointed, muted aromas and tastes, out of balance, just not showing well at all.

It couldn’t have been bottle shock since they had been cellared for at least months if not years. And the conditions were perfect – 55 degrees with 70% humidity all through the year.

Then one day I figured it out. My boy was playing his rap music real loud as usual and finally I got sick and tired of it and told him to shut it up. Which he did, and from then on I put a moratorium on that garbage. I told him take it outside, don’t play it in my house any more.

After that rap music stopped I noticed that my wines started tasting just fine. No more bottle shock, no more out of balance, just fine wine.

So as an experiment I asked my boy to play more of his rap music in the house. He was surprised but complied and sure enough, the wines started tasting awful again. Then I kicked him and his music back out.

I started experimenting with different types of music to see what kind of effect it had on my wines and as I suspected, classical seemed to bring out the best in them. Jazz wasn’t too bad either, and even some pop music didn’t seem to harm them. But Barry Manilow… and country and western.. forget it.

So Vinnyphile, I say most definitely there’s a connection between music and the development of a wine.

Posted by Vinnyphile 11:04 am February 3, 2008:

May I suggest, Mr. Peabody, that it is not the wine that is affected by the music played in your abode, but rather you that are affected by it. Obviously you have preferences for certain types of music and when those types are played, psychologically it makes your wine-drinking experience more pleasant.

On the other hand, you also evidently do not care for certain types of music such as rap, country and western and the Mandy Man, and hearing these types sets your nerves on edge and prevents you from enjoying whatever wine you happen to choose. You are the jittery one, not your wine.

That is my hypothesis. Wine is not affected in the least by the type of sounds around it.

Posted by Mr. Peabody 1:43 pm February 3, 2008:

Vinnyphile I disagree with you. We all know that wines are supposed to do best when kept in a dark, vibration-free temperature-controlled environment. Music and sounds in general are perceived by us due to the vibrations made on our ear drums. So don’t you think that music causes vibrations that resonate off of the bottle and are transmitted to the wine inside?

Certain frequencies or tones must be more damaging to wines than others. It sure makes sense to me that rap music would be harmful to wine. And sorry, but my wines just don’t like the Copacabanaman either.

We’re all familiar with those studies that show how plants are affected by sound. Wines are made from grapes and grapes come from plants. So why wouldn’t sound affect wine also?

Posted by Vinnyphile 2:06 pm February 3, 2008:

The plants in those studies were alive. The grapes in your wines are dead.

Posted by Mr. Peabody 2:29 pm February 3, 2008:

If the grapes are dead why does the wine still continue to develop in the bottle? They still have a spirit in them. No pun intended.

**Topic locked by Moderator 3:06 pm February 3, 2008**